Innpacked Logo

How much will a premises licence cost?

How much will it cost me to make a premises licence application?

A premises licence enables a premises to carry out licensable activities and any business which sells alcohol, provides entertainment or late night refreshment will need a premises licence. Entertainment includes theatrical performance, showing a film, indoor sporting event, boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor), live music, recorded music and performance of dance.

A premises licence application may also be submitted for one off large scale events which are likely to attract over 500 people and are not covered by a temporary event notice.

The cost of your licence application will depend on a number of factors but the amount you pay to the council will be based on the property’s rateable value. Other costs that have to be considered are newspaper advertising fees, plans, personal licence course and application, if you don’t already have one, printing, postage and photocopying.

Application fee

When making your application, you’ll will be required to send payment for the Premises Licence fee. This fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value of your premises, whether the premises are used ‘exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises’ and whether you host any events with more than 5,000 attendees at time.

Below is The Department for Culture, Media and Sport main fee levels

Non domestic rateable value


None to £4,300£4,301 to £33,000£33,001 to £87,000£87,001 to £125,000£125,001 and over
Premises licences*
New application and variation£100£190£315£450£635
Multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises (Bands D & E only)N/AN/AN/AX2 (£900)X3 (£1,905)
Annual charge*£70£180£295£320£350
Annual charge multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises (Bands D&E only)N/AN/AN/AX2 (£640)X3 (£1,050)
Club premises certificates
New application variation£100£190£315£450£635
Annual charge£70£180£295£320£350


Other Costs

Personal Licence

As a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) will be required to operate the premises licence to sell alcohol, you will have to appoint one. This person needs to have a personal licence which can be obtained by applying to the local council having completed the relevant qualifications APLH.


You will need to submit plans of the premises that you wish to be licensed as part of the application.

  1. the extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  2. the location of points of access to and egress from the premises
  3. if different from (2), the location of escape routes from the premises
  4. in a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises used for each activity
  5. fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  6. in a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
  7. in a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  8. in a case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms
  9. the location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment, including if applicable, marine safety equipment
  10. the location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises


Newspaper Fees

Applications must be advertised as set out in the act and the Licensing Act 2003 (Premises licences and club premises certificates) Regulations 2005. This includes displaying a sign at or outside the premises and an advertisement in a locally circulating newspaper.


Printing and Photocopying

You need to give a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the 8 other ‘responsible authorities’ on the same day as the application is given to the relevant licensing authority.


But the most expensive thing for you will be your time.

We can help!

For a fixed fee we can do it all for you and can get your application right first time.

Save time: applications can be delayed due to basic errors

Save money: we will help to ensure the process will not need to be re-started; you may avoid incurring additional costs in re-submitting press notices

Give peace of mind: we will make sure your application is correctly completed

Secure: we will ensure your application is electronically submitted and depending on the type of application, serve on the relevant Responsible Authorities



Call us today on 08000 786 056 to find out more about how Innpacked can help you make the most of your business.

Course Finder