Transferring a premises licence
Transferring a premises licence into your name or the name of your company can be complex. Our experienced team at Innpacked successfully submit hundreds of applications each year. We can take care of everything for you, so you can focus on your business.
To transfer a premises licence, you need the consent of the current licence holder. If the licence holder has passed away, is incapacitated or insolvent then you need to apply to have the premises licence transferred within 28 days.
Sometimes it isn’t possible to obtain the consent of the existing licence holder because they have left the country. Innpacked can deal with this situation for you, ensuring all the correct information is submitted to the licensing authority.
When do you need to transfer a premises licence?
If you buy a business that is licensed to sell alcohol you will need to apply to transfer the premises licence and you may also need to change the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS).
When a premises licence holder changes, a transfer application must be made immediately.
What application forms do you need to change a premises licence holder?
There are two forms to complete:
- Premises licence transfer consent form. Innpacked will provide this for you to pass onto the current premises licence holder to sign.
- Application to transfer premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003. Innpacked will complete this for you once we have received a copy of your premises licence.
The process of transferring a premises licence
These are the stages to complete a premises licence transfer:
- Obtain consent from the current licence holder for the licence transfer. If this is not possible, we will work proactively with you to find a solution quickly. We may obtain a waiver from the licensing authority to proceed with the transfer.
- Complete your application to change premises licence holder. We make sure your application is valid and that there are no errors or omissions that could result in delays, or your application being rejected.
- Notify the responsible authorities. The police, fire authority, environmental health and other relevant bodies need to be notified about your licence transfer.
- Chase the council for your new licence
Once your application has been approved, we will send you the amended premises licence with the newly named licence holder.
What does transferring a premise licence cost?
A maintenance fee is payable each year, on the anniversary of the grant of the original licence.
When a licence is transferred, the new licence holder becomes responsible for these payments.
If you are leaving a business where you are the premises licence holder, we can enquire whether there are any outstanding fees to pay.
With Innpacked, a licence transfer is £175 + VAT (including disbursements)
How long does it take to transfer a premises licence?
It can take anything from a few weeks to a few months to transfer a premises licence. At Innpacked, we process your application efficiently and quickly and do all we can to speed the process up.
The police have 14 days to submit a representation to your application. Depending on the outcomes, your transfer will complete soon after that.
Would you like help transferring a premises licence?
Our licensing specialists have the knowledge and experience to navigate complex licensing regulations and requirements efficiently.
We make sure your application is completed and submitted correctly avoiding any unnecessary delays, errors and complications so your business can start trading and generating revenue.
If you have any questions about transferring a premises licence, please get in touch with our friendly licensing experts today.