How to get a Pub Licence (Premises and Personal Licence)

Are you thinking of buying a pub, a restaurant or a shop that sells alcohol and need to find out about what licences you need to sell alcohol?

Well you’ve come to the right place to find out what you need to do to get a Pub licence or any other type of alcohol licence.

The required licences fall into two types, a personal licence and a premises licence.

Personal Licence

A personal licence will allow you to supervise the sale of alcohol. You will require this licence if you want to become the DPS (Designated Premises Supervisor) of a licensed premises. As the title indicates this licence is personal to you and does not expire. The DPS (Designated Premises Supervisor) is the person who is responsible for the day to day operation of the premises and the sale of alcohol within the law.

To get a personal Licence you will have to:

1. Complete the online Award for Personal Licence Holders course and online exam. This can be done from the comfort of your own home!

The course covers all the relevant licensing law that a person would need to sell alcohol. The online examination consists of a 40 multiple-choice questions with a score of 28 or above to pass (we have a 99.6% pass rate)

2. Apply for a DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) check which shows if you have any relevant offences that would stop you from holding a personal licence.

3. Apply to your local licensing authority for a personal licence.

We can take care of the whole application process on your behalf.

Call us on Freephone 08000 786 056 if you would like some free advice or have any questions.

Premises Licence

This is the licence that is attached to the venue.

Usually the pub, restaurant or shop that you buy will have an existing premises licence, although occasionally there are circumstances when it may have lapsed.

A lapsed licence has 28 days in which to be reinstated, after that time it is gone for good and a new premises licence must be applied for.

It’s important that, if you are buying any licenced premises, you check that the Premises Licence is current and active.

If the licence is active, you will need to apply for a licence transfer and probably a change of Designated Premises Supervisor.

Innpacked can take care of both applications on your behalf.

If your proposed business does not have an existing premises licence, you will have to make an application for a new licence.

This can be an intimidating and time-consuming process if are new to it.

We have provided a complete guide to making a new premises licence application within this site, but if you would like some further information or would like us to make the application on your behalf, then please contact our licensing team.

Licence Transfer

As the existing Premises Licence will be in the name of the current licence holder, it is important to ensure that it is transferred into your, or your company’s, name on completion of the purchase of the business.

This is done by application to the local licence authority.

Change of Designated Premises Supervisor

One of the main requirements of a Premises Licence is to have a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) in place.

The DPS is the person who is responsible for the day to day operation of the business and supervision of the sale of alcohol.

He or she must hold a Personal Licence and be named on the Premises Licence.

If the current DPS is not leaving the business when you take over, there is no need to do anything. However, if they are leaving, it is imperative that you apply to have your own DPS put in place and added to the licence.

Failure to change the DPS can have serious legal repercussions for your business!

Innpacked can take care of both licence variations on your behalf, ensuring that the change of licence is seamless, allowing you to concentrate on running your new business.

Why not get in touch today, so that we can guide you on your journey to owning that pub, restaurant or shop?

Shopping Basket
Scroll to Top