Innpacked Logo

Personal and Premises Licence FAQ

Frequently Asked Licensing Questions – FAQ

Welcome to the Innpacked Training frequently asked questions (FAQ) section, this is a section designed to answer questions which we are asked on a regular basis.

Within the personal and premises licence FAQs page you’ll find answers on Personal Licences, Premises licences and Personal licence (APLH) courses.

If you can not find an answer to your question within this section. Please Contact Us and we will do our best to help.

Why do I need a Premises Licence?

A premises licence is required when you offer or provide one or more of the following three licensable activities: the sale of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment, the provision of late night refreshment.

Do I need a premises licence if I am giving away FREE alcohol. Such as a hairdresser, beauty salon or retirement home?

Although you may view that because your not taking money directly from the customer for each drink then the drink is free. This is not the case so far as the Licensing Act is concerned. The law sees the supply of alcohol as part of the payment you have recieved for the haircut, the treatment or the rent for the retirement home.  So you will still need a premises licence.

How much does a Premises Licence Application cost?

A premises licence application cost is based on various factors. You’ll be charged a fee that’s based on the rateable value of the property. Application fees start from £100 upwards depending on the fee band of your venue. Click here for a full breakdown of fees.

How do I apply for a Premises Licence?

You must complete the Premises Licence application form in the right hand column on this page and, if alcohol is to be sold, the form giving the consent of the Designated Premises Supervisor. You must send a copy of the form to the Licensing Authority with the correct fee and to each of the other Responsible Authorities, together with plans of the premises. Or alternatively you can let Innpacked take care of the whole process for you. More details on both Innpackeds application service or help if you wish to make the application yourself are available here.

How long does a Premises Licence last?

The licence is valid for as long as the premises exists or, until the licence is surrendered or revoked. The licence holder is liable for the licence until liquidation/surrender of licence or death of the licence holder. There is an annual fee payable on the anniversary of the grant of the Premises Licence.

What is the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)?

A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is an individual who holds a valid Personal Licence and is named on a Premises Licence which authorises the sale by retail of alcohol.

What is a Personal Licence?

A Personal Licence is required by anyone authorising the sale of alcohol from a Licensed Premises. To operate a  Premises Licence, a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) must be named on the licence. The DPS must authorise every sale of alcohol and must hold a personal licence.

What do I need to apply for a Personal Licence?

You will need an accredited qualification (APLH), a basic criminal disclosure, and a completed personal licence application form.

What is an Accredited Qualification?

The Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders is the accredited qualification required to attain a personal licence

Where can I sit my APLH exam?

At any of our APLH exam training venues located around the UK or you can have your own course at your venue with no minimum numbers by booking a one 2 one training package.

What is the pass rate on your APLH courses?

At present, we have a pass rate in excess of 99% on our personal licence APLH courses.

What does the APLH exam entail?

There is a 40 question exam, all multiple choice. To pass, you must answer 28 out of 40 questions correctly.

What happens if I fail my APLH exam?

In the very unlikely event of you failing, then a re-sit of the course or exam only can be booked at a fraction of the price.

Can you come to my premises to deliver the course?


Just give us a call to receive a quote for more than 3 delegates or have a look at our 1 2 1 courses for individuals.

How soon will I receive any study material after I have booked my place on the APLH course?

You will receive your course joining instructions along with your pre-study course materials within 24 hours of your booking.

How long does the APLH course take?

The course normally starts at 10am and is finished by 4pm but we also have the express course option.

What type of questions are in the APLH exams?

Mock APLH exam questions can be found in within the resources area of this site by clicking here.

Do I need any experience to attend a APLH or SCPLH course?

No, all you need is a willingness to learn.

How much does the APLH course cost?

The cost of the course and the exam starts form only £135 plus VAT.

How old do you need to be to take your Personal Licence Holders exam?

You can sit the examination before you are 18, but to hold a Personal Licence you must be at least 18 years of age.

Are there any hidden costs?

NO. The cost includes your course tuition, examination fee, APLH certificate, lunch, refreshments and six months starter membership to the BII.

When I receive my APLH certificate does that mean that I am a personal licence holder?

No you must apply to your local licensing authority for a personal licence.

Can Innpacked take care of the Personal Licence Application process for me?

Yes. Innpacked can take care of your personal licence application process for you.

Course Finder