08000 786 056


Premises Licence Application

Below is an outline of the application process for a Premises Licence.

A Premises Licence is required in respect of any premises or part of a premises where the company intends to carry out a licensable activity. This includes the supply of alcohol, public music and dancing, provision of hot food between 11pm and 5am, showing of films and performance of plays.

To apply for a Premises Licence you must send to the Licensing Authority:-

A completed application form;
A plan to the scale of 1:100 of the premises to which the application relates;
The fee based upon the premises non-domestic rateable value.

If any licensable activity includes the supply of alcohol, the application must specify information about the person (who must hold a Personal Licence) whom the applicant wishes to be the 'Designated Premises Supervisor' and must also be accompanied by:-
A specified form of consent from the nominated 'Designated Premises Supervisor;
A specified form of consent (where an application is made by a person who is not the holder of the licence/s).

The plan shall show:-

The extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises;
The location of points of access to and egress from the premises;
The location of escape routes from the premises;
In a case where the premises is to be used for more than one licensable activity, the area within the premises used for each activity;
Fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment;
In a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor;
In a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts;
In the case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms;
The location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment including, if applicable, marine safety equipment; and
the location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises.

The plan may include a legend through which the matters mentioned or referred to above are sufficiently illustrated by the use of symbols on the plan.

A notice must be displayed at or on the premises to which the application relates;

For a period of not less than 28 consecutive days from the day following the day the application was given to the Licensing Authority, where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises.  Where the premises cover an area of more than 50 square metres, a further identical notice must be displayed every 50 metres along the external perimeter of the premises abutting any highway.  The notice must be on pale blue paper sized A4 or larger and printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font size equal to or larger than 16.

The notice must state: -

Details of the relevant licensable activities that it is proposed will be carried on or from the premises
The name of the applicant,
The postal address of the premises, or in the case where there is no postal address, a description of the premises sufficient to enable the location and extent of the premises to be identified,
The postal address and (where applicable) the worldwide web address where the register of the relevant licensing authority is kept and where and when the record of the application may be inspected, the date by which an interested party or responsible authority may make representations to the relevant licensing authority and that representations should be made in writing,
That it is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence.

A notice, containing the same details, must be published in a local newspaper or similar document on at least one occasion during the period of 10 working days following the day after giving the application to the Licensing Authority.

In order to lessen the potential for an application to be rejected as being invalid, or for representations being made, you are strongly advised to discuss your proposed application and how the forms have been completed with each of the relevant Responsible Authorities.

Premises Licence Application Promise

We guarantee to be at least 25% cheaper than any like for like quote. That is a promise.

If you book your Premises Licence Application with us we will process your Personal Licence Application for FREE

 Why not contact us for a Free quote

Do I Need a Personal Licence?

You need a Personal Licence under the Licensing Act 2003 if you want to sell alcohol. 

If you are to be the DPS named on the Premises Licence you must hold a valid Personal Licence. 

All sales of alcohol must be authorised by a personal licence holder so it would be useful to have more than one Personal Licence holder working at a particular site. 

However, it is not a legal requirement for a Personal Licence holder always to be present when alcohol is sold.

If you would like more information on how and where to get a Personal Licence click here

How do I change the designated premises supervisor on my premises licence?

If you wish to change the designated premises supervisor on the Premises Licence, you must apply to vary a Premises Licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor(DPS). You must also submit the consent of the individual being specified as premises supervisor to be completed by the proposed DPS.

The Police will have 14 days to object to the proposed appointment if it is felt it would undermine the Crime Prevention objective. If the Licensing Section receives an objection, they must hold a hearing with the Licensing and Regulatory Sub Committee.

As with most of the applications etc on this site, you can do this yourself or you can get on with your business and leave it to us.
Click here to find out more